POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Enhanced photons : Enhanced photons Server Time
19 Aug 2024 22:08:58 EDT (-0400)
  Enhanced photons
From: Alberto
Date: 7 Oct 2000 11:52:20
Message: <39DF469B.BA9559C2@usb.ve>
Here are some considerations about photons I'd like to share.

  The left image is the normal render you get with one light source.  In
my
opinion, the dark shadows cast by the glass are to dark.  I have
observed
this kind of refractive caustics in some experiments I have done with
real
glasses and lights, so they are right from the physical point of view as
remarked by N. Kopp elsewhere in this newsgroups.  In the other hand,
the
reflective caustics are to bright.

  One extreme solution to both is to shut down photons all together.  We
all
know that in most scenes this is a bad solution.  There is an
intermediate
solution.  Turn on a second light source (in the same position off the
original one) with reflection and refraction off.  The result is shown
in
the right image.  The light that shoots photons has rgb .12 and the new
one, rgb .88 (this settings may not be the best ones).  The rendering
time
of the two images are more ore less the same.  The slowing down due to
the
two lights is partially compensated by less sampling needed in anti-aliasing.

  BTW, here are the settings for the glass:

pigment{rgbf <.94, .94, .94, 1>}
finish {ambient 0  diffuse .5  reflection 0.065  specular 1  roughness .005}
interior{ior 1.5  media{absorption <1, .75, 1>  density{rgb .01}}}
photons{target 1  reflection on  refraction on  ignore_photons}

They work well with  global_settings{adc_bailout .05  max_trace_level 100}.

  Finally, this are only my opinions and you may have other ideas/solutions.

  Alberto.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'ephot.jpg' (32 KB)